Reports To: Patient Advocate Manager
Summary: Patient Advocates establish communication channels with patients to answer any questions and concerns they may have around billing.
- Assure is excited to expand its Patient Advocacy department by bringing on additional full time Patient Advocates to meet the growing needs of the Company. The full time Patient Advocates will proactively reach out to patients to educate and inform them regarding Assure and IONM services. Patient Advocates (PA) establish communication channels with patients to answer any questions and concerns they may have. Our goal is to reach patients both before and after their procedures in a timely manner. Patient Advocates are often the first contact that patients will have with Assure, so it is important that we take the role seriously and that PAs perform this role in accordance with Assure’s Core Values. Those Values include, Patient Centric, Integrity, Teamwork, Never Satisfied, Entrepreneurial, and Continuous Improvement. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Responsible for calling patients before their surgery to introduce them to Assure, explain what IONM is and explain company’s policies and practices around billing. If patient has additional questions or concerns, work with appropriate teams and PA Manager to ensure patient’s questions and concerns are answered and addressed in a timely manner.
- Responsible for calling patients after their surgery to follow up and answer any additional questions/concerns they may have. Connect patient with appropriate person/department as needed regarding patient cost-share, paid-to-patient payments, statements, explanation of benefits, benefits coverage or request for case reviews. Escalate any challenging calls to PA Manager to assist as needed. Confirm address/contact info and insurance information, as needed, with patients prior to surgery.
- Coordinate calls between patients who have concerns and our benefits and/or billing departments. Be on three-way calls, as needed and/or follow up with patient after they’ve spoke to appropriate department to make sure all questions have been answered and they are happy. Keep PA Manager informed regarding those patients who have concerns so PA Manager can assist and reach out to patients, as needed.
- Ensure detailed notes are made in USMON for every call/interaction with patient.
- Responsible for answering calls that come into the Patient Advocate phone line and addressing any questions/concerns from those calls, and/or directing calls to appropriate person/department, as needed.
- Work closely within the Patient Advocacy team to ensure thorough communication and follow up with all patients. This will include bi-weekly team calls.
- Work closely with other departments, especially RCM, to resolve patient concerns.
- Coordinate with surgeons’ offices, as needed, to contact and follow up with patients, as requested
- Generally, coordinate communication between patient and company to ensure the patient is receiving best care possible.
- Performs other duties, as required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong communication skills and ability to give full attention to understanding the needs and concerns of each and every patient. Patient Advocate should have a generally caring attitude and empathetic disposition.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Ability to work well within a team.
- Bachelors degree in Communications, Business Administration, or related field preferred; or five years experience in client services;
- Experience in or knowledge of medical billing preferred.